Friday, August 01, 2008

Eco Hysteria

There's a movement afoot to ban bottled water, which seems dubious to me. A commentator below ("The Bag Lady is Singing) suggests that ecological awareness is a good thing, no matter how misguided a few zealots are, or sound. I might agree, if I didn't fear that the zealots were on their way to taking over our schools, our children and our lives. The NYT article linked above doesn't scare me - some of the comments appended to it do. Here, for instance, is one from exactly the type of person who sets my teeth on edge and tempts me to reach for my revolver:

"10. July 29th, 2008

Bottled water is THE. BIGGEST. MYTH. IN. HISTORY.
(next to WMDs, of course)
I’ve done some research on this topic. I believe anyone who frequently drinks only bottled water is a disgrace. THey are selfish folks who care nothing about their surroundings and the environment. THey don’t care that tons of plastic, and energy and oil are used to make bottled water (which in some cases, like Dasani, is filtered tap water already).
ANything that states “purified water” means it is TAP WATER that goes thru a Brita-like filter. So why pay for it?
Also, water like FIji, actually comes from Fiji - 7,000 miles away. That uses fuel for the airplane, plastic for the bottle, and tons of energy to make the darn thing. Workers are paid a few cents an hour to make this product, which you carelessly throw away.
ANyone who doesn’t care about the environment, or buys bottled water by the multi-pack, should be ashamed to call themselves American, or even a concerned human. People like this are the ones who have polluted the Earth.
Bottled water is for those occasions when you forget to take your own, or you have a sudden urge for water. That’s it. It’s an emergency product. Drinking bottled water is as stupid as breathing air from an oxygen tank 24 hours a day.
— Posted by irritated"

When not being irritated by water drinkers, this lady busies herself by slipping abusive messages under the windshield wipers of SUVs. You can't tell her to get a life because she thinks she already has one. Ugh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's Next? 'Messiah Tires'?

Anonymous said...

Interesting - however - I look forward to more pictures - and properties you wish to comment on!

Chris Fountain said...

Well if you'll revive the market, I'll get busy and stop being distracted by ridiculous issues like bottled water! Did you see Greenwpan's gloomy prediction about the housing market? I'll post it, just in case you haven't. Hope he's wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm not your - enemy - Chris - just telling you in a 'Postive Way' - that pictures and your 'Real Estate' comments - are more of an interest to me!

I think others would agree!

Esp. one's that have listed their properties with you!

juan sosa said...

Ouch! Watch out when clients get you to start changing your voice. I for one will stop reading.

juan sosa said...

Ouch! I read you for your unique voice. Keep it up and watch the slippery slope of concessions.