Saturday, August 09, 2008

The New York Times writes about housing

Just in case you don't read the NY Times, I thought I'd point out two interesting articles that appeared in today's Business section. One article, on climbing mortgage rates (previously discussed in this blog) is linked via the title above. The other, interviews with various economists on how to calculate a home's value in today's market, is here. There's probably not a whole lot that's new to financially sophisticated readers (and aren't all Greenwich property owners financially sophisticated?) but a nice rundown of current wisdom. If you don't want to spend your time I can summarize: no one knows where mortgage rates are going but if they continue to climb it will cost you more as a buyer and sellers will get less for their house - pay the bank, pay the seller, but not both - and economists are all over the place when it comes to valuing houses. There - now you know.

No comments: