Monday, August 25, 2008

They're back!

Okay, they may not be as welcome as the swallows of Capistrano (when I Googled that term to check spelling I was asked, "did you mean swallows of cappuccino?" - er, no)) but buyers are finally stirring, poking around after the storm to see what's still here. Before you sellers get your hopes up, you might want to know that the buyers I've been talking to are ready to buy and have cash but they're not planning on paying full asking price - quite the contrary. Their general consensus, if I can extrapolate from a small sample, is that the market is flattening out and probably will start recovering in the Spring, so perhaps now's a good time to buy. I won't disagree.

I'm also hearing rumors of a couple of very large pending deals that, if they come to fruition, should cheer up spec builders considerably. So don't despair but do be prepared to hear offers well below what you've been counting on. As of today there are 37 single family homes actively listed since at least August 2007 (and that's not counting listings that have expired and withdrawn with the intention of returning to the market in a few weeks). So if you won't listen to a low offer, there's probably somebody else out there who will.

No comments: