B.K. Bates recently listed a Belle Haven waterfront property for sale at $15,750,000. The property was listed on July 23rd but the first broker open house wasn't scheduled until early September, no doubt because BK wanted to give her fellow agents time to return from vacation. She herself was clearly not taking it easy because yesterday she reported that she had a contract on the place - both sides of the deal which is nice work if you can get it.
I didn't see this place before it went but, at 1.6 acres and its construction date of 1933 I hope I'll be forgiven if I suggest that this represents a very healthy price for waterfront building lots. It might be renovated (which was last done in 1980) but, given the relatively large size of the lot and the age of the building, it might easily be destined for the dustbin of history. Regardless, it's nice to know that not everyone has lost their pocket change.
1 year ago
2 comments:
No doubt that Waterfront is still King but it doesn't seem to be the slam dunk it always ways.
I have been suprised at how long the five or six water front piece of property in Old Greenwich have been sitting. Certainly each has its problem but not too long ago each would have sold to someone.
It's true that there are five waterfront houses currently for sale in Old Greenwich, but I blame price for their availabilty more than anything else. Old Greenwich saw some very quick sales of better waterfront - better priced or better location or better condition in the past two years. 19 Meadow Place, for instance, basically land, came on in April this year for $7.950 and sold immediately for $8.500. 35 Cove Road asked $8.2 and got $8.2 in 22 days. 200 Shore Road, new construction with an incredible view, asked $8,000,000 and went to contract almost immediately for what I'd guess was asking or close-to-asking price.
Etc. The houses that are lingering are doing so, I think, because the sellers paid too much attention to the prices other waterfront fetched and not enough attention to the particular drawbacks of their own land. Nothing that can't be remedied by a price cut. 164 Sore Road, for instance, came on at $8.4 but the sellers quickly realized they were too high, cut the price $500,000 and had it sold for $7.4 within 28 days of first listing it. That's a smart buyer - why prolongthe agony? Besides, they pocketed a very nice sum.
Post a Comment