Tuesday, September 09, 2008

1 Meadowcroft
Got the grand tour on 37 Grahampton/ 1 Meadowcroft today. Understand that I'm not a fan of houses this size so my comments are not purely objective. It's certainly big, and there's a huge cellar filled with all the wine racks, media rooms and toys that today's adults seem to want. Large kitchen with some kind of granite thing going on - it's too high to be a food preparation surface, and too wide to reach even to its middle, so I'm uncertain what purpose it serves. I asked the agent, "what's this?" and was told, "granite". That I already knew.
Lots of big bedrooms, thick doors, big baths, everything you'd expect, I suppose. Mariani builds a nice house and this one is no exception. I would quibble with its approach, however. You can't tell from the artist's rendering posted here but it's a very short jog from the street to the house; turn off Meadowcroft and bang! There's the house. If I had an ego large enough to accommodate buying this house I'd want a long winding drive so that my visitors would think, "wow, this guy's made it!". You'll have to find other ways to impress them. Nice flat back yard, if anyone still uses them. And a pool.
Are there buyers out there for this size house? We'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

come on - did you walk down the street and look at #17 for comparative purposes? With its nice, long approach and non-busy-corner location?

By the way, Chris, I don't know if you saw it (meant to post this last night), but the 12 noon siren is on the corner right in front of the #1 Meadowcroft house. Not across the street, but right ON the corner of house's property, and it is LOUD. Another amenity, but one which may not be on the property listing.

Chris Fountain said...

So what's wrong with having a reliable little whistle to set your watch by? And there's probably no extra charge for that feature.

And yes, a good agent would certainly make an attempt to at least ascertain whether a better, (or, not to be judgemental, different) house were available, especially if the client liked a location but didn't like the house he was shown. In the case of meadowcroft, I believe it is NOT available and is off the market for at least the foreseeable future, but I have definitely called other agents on my clients' behalf when an expired or withdrawn listing caught their eye.

Chris Fountain said...

The point is to sell the client a house, any house, and we have no allegience to any particular listing, even our own (well, that's the way it should work, anyway. "You want it? Let me try to get it for you." Period.

Anonymous said...

chris - is #17 new construction and is it for sale?