Wednesday, September 24, 2008


Peter Tesei
Okay, that's not really our First Selectman pictured here but the poor ol' guy was panhandling on the Town Hall steps and I felt sorry for him so I posted his image - he'll feel better now, I'm sure, once he gains access to a computer and sees his smiling visage.
Anyway, I did hear Mr. Tesei speak today and he did an excellent job discussing our town's budget and a number of problems afflicting Greenwich. I came away thinking we're in good hands, even if I did vote for his opponent.

Tesei told us that Greenwich sends Hartford $600 million each year in taxes and gets back $5 million. This is particularly distressing because, just the other day, I heard a panel discussion of certain liberals bemoaning the fact that cities like Waterbury hit their citizens with property taxes 5X greater than Greenwich. The solution, according to these redistributionists, was to tax Greenwich more heavily. They ignored the one commentator who pointed out that, while Connecticut's population has decreased over the past two decades, the number of municipal employees has increased 39%. Why cut spending when there's a golden goose down the road, just waiting to be plucked?

The answer to our declining schools, Tesei suggested, was to bring some accountability to the School Board (which, by charter, Tesei can't control). Right now, our two political parties each put just two members up for election every other year and, by default, they are elected. The parties could select 4 candidates and create a real contest at the expense of making the incumbents nervous. Tesei seemed to think this was a good idea and so do I. Go put some pressure on your local Democrats and Republicans and consider running for the Board yourself. And don't forget to toss our current superintendent, Betty Sternberg, out of office next year. She's not to blame for everything bad about our schools, I suppose, but heck - it's a start.

Diane Fox, P&Z head honcho, also spoke. I usually disagree with everything the lady has to say and today was no exception. If she has her way, and she always does, watch out for new, stricter requirements for elevating additions to houses along the waterfront. Ms. Fox has smoked a bit too long from the Al Gore bong and seems to think the sea level is going to rise 50' next year. Fortunately, she'll be there with her regulations to save us.

She also wants to see "affordable housing" apartments built along the Post Road and in downtown Greenwich all for the purpose, she claims, of providing housing for our municipal employees. This is a crock and I suspect she knows it. When pressed on the issue of who, exactly, was going to occupy this housing when cops, firemen and teachers all seem to want what everyone else does: a single family house with a backyard, Fox fell back on 'elderly". Nothing against old folks downsizing, but I wish our town planners would be honest enough to admit that that's who we're building for instead of casting these projects in the glow of a "we're providing housing for our workers" argument.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former member of the RTM I can honestly say that it is so frustrating at how this town works. RTM members who are supposed to watch over the budget get slammed at one meeting with a huge budget and we usually have no real ability to pare back spending or reign in idiots like Diane Fox.

The town should focus on the young (educations), old (nursing care) and feable (sick, mentally handicapped) and leave the rest of it alone. Housing for town employees!!! Puhleeeeze. As if providing life-long jobs with pension and health benfits isn't enough for municipal employees who can't be fired. I wish more people in town government were more accountable for poor service, bad decisions and wasteful spending.

How about giving bonuses to employees who find operational efficiencies? What about improving the horrible service at town hall? Ever been to the building records department? Ever watch the police talk on cell phones while making illegal right hand turns in police cruisers? Ever deal with that horrible woman for beach cards? Our town government is rife with wasteful spending.

And the Board of Ed.....my favorite town bureaucracy!! They are literally an empire unto themselves. Spending is out of control and god forbid you ask them to scale back their budget...they go screaming to the Greenwich Time that teaching positions HAVE to be cut in order to reduce their budget. They did it last year when the BET asked them to revise their budget down. The audacity to spend over $100 million with legions of admins and back office people to say that the first thing they would have to cut would be front line teaching positions. Betty Sternberg and every other loser Greenwich has hired for the position don't deserve the ridiculous pay they receive. Instead, we are doomed to give them another building project and are nearly committed to paying a ridiculous sum of money so that they can find a new, improved ivory tower to waste our money on. The Havemayer Building is fine, but listen to those whiners at the Board of Ed and you'd think the place was a cave in the tribal region of Afganistan.

I could go on but I need ot go back to work. I, unlike town employees, can get fired.

Anonymous said...

Looks like 'Bernie Yudain' - always enjoy reading his column!

Anonymous said...

May-be Ms. Fox should hook-up with Henrietta, the beach Turkey - sounds like they would get a-long just fine!

Anonymous said...

Any comment regarding 'Porricelli' drops residency protest - Chris?

Chris Fountain said...

Yes, of course it's Bernie. Can't imagine what he was doing pushing a shopping cart!

Mr. Poricelli's a very nice man, but he lives in Stamford, so he can't vote here. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Yes - those who work for the 'Town' and for all the town's 'citizens' are very frustrating to work with - the phones ring and ring and ring - don't bother asking who you are talking with - if and when - they answer - they just hang up on us! 'Phone Manners' - at our 'Town Hall' leaves a-lot to be desired.
I - for one - blame it on the 'unions' that protect them!
I was so very pleased when the town said good-bye to 'Kelly Houston' former affirmative action officer - who offended all the town citizens -and smeared us all with the 'Race Card'- well - I could go on and on - how we have been 'Disrespected' over the many long years - they just don't give a damn about the average 'Joe citizen' - at our Town Hall! Don't even get me started about our 'Building Dept' or 'Highway Dept.' talk about 'No Respect' they are experts at it! Yes, makes all of us very angry!