Tuesday, October 14, 2008

16 Beechcroft
Beechcroft (behind North Street's St. Michael Church) has seen a wave of new construction lately and this spec house was in that wave. Priced at $8.5 million when it came on the market in June, 2007 2008, its builder must have grown tired of waiting: he sold it yesterday for $6.150 million; 28% off. Hope his profit margin was a big one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, are you sure on that timing of it coming to market 16 months ago?

I saw that house being built, and I could swear we were tromping in the mud around it this past spring - there was no driveway yet. maybe June 2008 it was listed?

He was lucky to get $6. He spent a fortune building it, and it still is an odd-looking place, wtih a huge spec house across the street (a really ugly one, I might add) coming to market shortly.

Chris Fountain said...

Your memory is correct. the land (and, I assume, an older house) was bought in June, 2007 but the new house wasn't listed until this year. I'll go fix the post - thanks!

Anonymous said...

My zillow isn't working, but let's say he paid $2 mil for the property (it was probably more?).

9,000 sq ft x $400/sq ft = $3.6

So that is $5.6 without any other costs (pool, etc.). I'm guessing builder didn't make a dime.

CEA

Chris Fountain said...

He paid $2,280,000 in June 2007. On the bright side, he probably doesn't owe any capital gains taxes and if he got out still wearing his shirt, he's ahead of a lot of his peers.

Chris Fountain said...

Assuming your estimate is about right, and I think it is, the guy spent $5,880,000 to buy the land and build the place (let's go wild and toss in the pool, landscaping and all that in the $400 sq.ft. figure) and would have netted $270,000, out of which he'd have paid $307,500 in commissions (5%), $15,312 in town conveyance tax, state conveyance tax, attorney's fees and gas to get to the closing.
So no, I don't think he made a dime.