Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why I won't be going out to open houses today
Because there's nothing to see, basically. One house says it's newly staged and offers a 3% commission. I hope I'm not stupid enough to be impressed by some rented furniture that will disappear with the seller and if I'm ever swayed to recommend a house to a buyer because I'll receive an fattener in my wallet then it will be time for me to quit.

Another house bills itself as "new construction" which would be true if this were 2004 but last time I checked, it isn't. It also doesn't help that the asking price is $400,000 more than what the sellers paid for it 4 1/2 years ago. I don't think the market is now where it was then.

So I'll save my gas. I'm going fishing next week because, if this week's dead, next week will be six feet under, so blogging will be a little sparce,
unless some large tuna cooperate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the market this year defies explanation - but historically, does the Labor Day weekend signal a return to a busier market? Or do we need to get deeper into the fall before that would typically happen?

In a related question - does it typically slow down again around Thanksgiving?

Chris Fountain said...

Yes - a week after Labor Day (kids returniing to school seems to delay things that first week) has, in the past, seen the start of our most robust market period. While more houses usually sell in Spring (beginning in late January) the Fall market has been busiest because so much activity is crammed into such a short period. At least a week before Thanksgiving people's attention shifts from house buying to the upcoming holidays and it won't shift back until after Martin Luther King Day. So 2nd week of September to 2nd or 3rd week of November. After that, you may as well leave town on vacation. Usually - a few years ago, for some unkonwn reason, December was huge. Who knows?

Let's hope that we follow historical pattern this year, especially the bit about the market reviving after Labor Day.