Monday, September 08, 2008

17 Meadowcroft
Old vs new?
A reader points out that this beautiful place on 8 acres didn't sell when priced at $16.8 million for the past two years and thus wonders whether Mr. Mariani's new venture will fare better. Good question and one only time will answer but there are definitely two different markets for huge houses: old and new, so this one's failure does not necessarily portend the same fate for #1.
But then again ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can also attest that this is one of the most beautiful houses in town. Plus, it sits on a wonderful pond, and is in the middle of Meadowcroft, rather than on the fairly busy Grahampton/Meadowcroft corner.

Chris, if a broker was showing 1 Meadowcroft to a client, would there be any reason NOT to show 17 Meadowcroft, which is only 10% more expensive, for nearly 3 times the acreage and a nicer lot (not to mention outbuildings)? Wouldn't a broker be somewhat obligated to show such a comp?

Signed, the reader who suggested 17 Meadowcroft!

Chris Fountain said...

Well, it's no longer listed, but if my client were interested I would call the last listing agent and ask her if her client would like to show it. The other approach would be to contact the owner directly but this is a small town and if I treat my colleagues right they tend to return the favor.

Anonymous said...

Chris, I guess what I mean is rather than say "IF my client were interested" - would a conscientious broker call the last listing agent and suggest this on his/her own? Or is this not appropriate?

We did not have a good broker when we bought our house, and had to find comparable price-range houses on our own so we could see what the same amount of $ could get you.

Chris Fountain said...

Rereading your comment, I finally understood your question (I'm very slow on rainy days). Yes, we'd certainly point out other homes in a particular area if they'd once been for sale but had since been withdrawn, but I, at least, wouldn't get another agent or her homeowner all fretted up about a showing unless my client asked me to. On the other hand, I've known successful agents who, told by their client that they really wanted to buy on a particular street, knoock on doors until they find a seller. They often do, too.