Monday, September 08, 2008


Picture lifted w/o permission (because I don't know how to contact the photographer) from the very talented "Blonde Excuse"

Speaking of Business....
I was struck the other day by the sight of a shopper exiting the Old Greenwich Food Mart with a full cart of groceries. Not so long ago this was common,of course, so the fact that I thought it unusual seems evidence, to me, that more and more folks are using the new ShopRite for their main shopping and using Food Mart as a fill-in. I certainly have done no research to verify this but if my own experience is typical, we might look for a new tenant on Arcadia Road in the not-so-distant future. I hope not - small towns need places like this, or they used to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks so much for the link! My dad and I read your site every day and love it, by the way.

Chris Fountain said...

Thank YOU for your photos and your blog.
Chris

Anonymous said...

If the Poricelli's offered a better, more competitive product then their stores would do better. Everyone bemoaned the loss of the store in Cos Cob but the family is the one who turned down Trader Joe's, presumably because it would have competed with their remaining store in OG. They put their financial well-being ahead of the community's need for a food store, despite their well-cultivated image as "supporters" of the community.

Chris Fountain said...

I stopped in yesterday to pick up a few items. They charged $3.39 for a bag of mixed greens ($2.79 at ShopRite) and were out of shallots, an essential ingredient for what I wanted to cook. So I went to ShopRite for the shallots and wondered why I'd bothered with Food Mart in the first place. A Trader Joe's in Cos Cob would have been cool.

Anonymous said...

My wife is going to flip when she hear's that trader joe's almost landed within walking distance of our house. I dare say it would ad 10k to our house value!

Cos Cobber