Sucking up to RoyaltyOkay, this is shooting fish in the barrel but ...
Grab onto your hats, my old paper,The Greenwich Post, has launched its new gossip column:
Scene ... Greenwich residents and talk show hosts Regis and Joy Philbin were seen dining at Valbella in Riverside last Saturday night. At a separate table was WWE chairman and Greenwich resident Vince McMahon and his wife, Linda. Also seen dining among the celebs was Greenwich Hospital president and CEO Frank Corvino. On a separate occasion, His Royal Highness Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco and a bevy of young beauties were dining downstairs in the wine cellar while his three bodyguards waited for him upstairs.
Scene... Riverside residents and TV personalities Kathie Lee and Frank Gifford were seen having dinner at Figaro on Greenwich Avenue last week.
Aside from the fact that, if you want to see, meet and actually speak with Frank and Kathie Lee you can come to my church on any Sunday and do just that, instead of gazing longingly from afar as Frank masticates a lamb chop,is it really worth chopping down a tree to distribute this hard-hitting, must-have news? Does it enrich one's life to know that someone heard from someone else that Eric Clapton was on the same island (maybe even at the same time!) as that third party? What sort of self-respecting newspaper editor allows himself to be involved in this schlock?
It surely hasn't escaped the notice of the Greenwich Post that our town is suffering a bit of a rough spot in the ol' real estate market yet, to save printing costs, they've cut their last remaining real estate columnist to a bi-weekly schedule to make room for the doings of His Royal Highness Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco. The columnist is no loss, unless you wanted to read the latest press release from the National Association of Realtors ("Everything is beeeoootiful, everything is fine ..." ) but still, how does this man look himself in the mirror?
I was the only paid columnist at the weekly advertiser (and they solved that problem) so the absence of real estate news can be attributed solely to the lack of funds to actually print a paper. Of course, if you remove all the content from your paper, there might - just might - be a connection with a declining readership, no matter how many copies you stuff, free, into mailboxes.
I'm not (particularly) bitter that I'm no longer associated with this drowning enterprise -I'm having fun being on line and I'm proud to be free. My former editor might try it himself.
8 comments:
Yes - Chris - 'The Rich and Famous' are usually not the ones to envy.
Some people love that super suck up service at Valbella. It makes me uncomfortable the way they hover over you "mafioso style"...watching you eat every bite, in case you drop your fork or napkin. Back off buster. I'll call you over when I want you.
As for the Greenwich celebs...Who cares? Yawn. Regis is a sweetheart though...I must say.
L.
The 'Salvatore Brothers' Bennett and Jeffrey - purchased a 19,000 sq ft building at 28 Spring ST. in downtown Stamford from Bennett's father-in-law - Andy Robustelli for $2.5 million. Who Knew?
'Bennett's Steak and Fish' - now - that is a 'comfortable' restaurant to have dinner.
"I'm not (particularly) bitter that I'm no longer associated with this drowning enterprise -I'm having fun being on line and I'm proud to be free. My former editor might try it himself. "
Too many of your posts refer to your former distribution (The Post). It comes across as bitter, no matter how you slice it. It is starting to come the point of excessive. Let it go. I, for one, am a loyal reader of your blog, and no longer read the Post because you are no longer in it. Take some measure of vindication in all the support you are getting and have gotten since your departure from the Post.
But there just seem to be way too many posts slamming The Post. As someone once said to me: "Get over it". You are too good for such pettiness.
What is the name of your church?
Uh Oh. Church stalkers??
Excellent point re The Post. Consider it done.
Church stalkers? My fear, too. My advice, if you want to find the couple, try every church in town. You may find a church you like and decide that meeting the Giffords isn't all that important, after all.
if you remove all the content from your paper, there might - just might - be a connection with a declining readership, no matter how many copies you stuff, free, into mailboxes.
Ya think?
Personally, I love reading your slams of the "drowning" Post, and think you should just carry on slamming them regardless of whatever others may think. They deserve every bit of it, and for you to maintain a sphinx-like silence on their malfeasance smacks of dereliction of duty, IMO.
I would also say to you, never take advice from people who post anonymously. For all one knows, they could be employed by tbe Post....
Post a Comment