Thursday, October 23, 2008



AIG to sell Stowe? The company's woes have everyone in town nervous, probably with good reason.
"The most expensive ski facility in the Eastern U.S., owned by American International Group Inc., is halfway through a $400 million renovation that began a decade ago when Maurice ``Hank'' Greenberg was running the insurance company. AIG's founder, avid skier Cornelius Vander Starr, began developing the resort more than 60 years ago after the Civilian Conservation Corps cut the mountain's first trails during the Great Depression."
I quit skiing Stowe in 1970 or so when I grew tired of paying $10 (hey - that was a lot of money back then) and standing in line - I used to sleep in my VW bus to afford lift tickets so I wanted my money's worth. I found it at Mad River, but I still have good memories of Stowe and I'd be sorry to see it go under. Doesn't sound like my kind of place any more, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like we all are say-ing good-bye to the good ole days - Chris - nice picture - and very interesting.