Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Greenwich Avenue Blues

Courtesy of a reader, here's a story from the New York Observer about Greenwich Lean Time(s). Seems that retailers have seen better days, which will no doubt astonish you. I haven't shopped on the Avenue since Al Oliver's (? - the record store) was pushed out by a Talbot's expansion; Given my tastes and what the Avenue stores sell, I'm sure they never missed my patronage. Still, people who buy $100,000 sapphires at Betteridge's are more likely than I am to buy expensive houses (like yours), so I'm sorry they're feeling pinched.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Al Franklin's Musical World. I always think of it anytime I see Al Franken running for the senate.

Anonymous said...

Chris - I remember when it was Fraioli's.

Anonymous said...

I miss the old Greenwich Hardware Store - you could find just about anything you were looking for in that store - great service - free delivery - house accounts - they knew your name and made you feel like your business was appreciated. I recently read that Russell C. - long time salesperson who lived on Steamboat Rd. had passed on - well - yes - enough of the good old days!