Sunday, October 12, 2008


What, again?
posted by Amanda Von Stuckle

So I was having lunch at Baang! with Kathy Lee and Carlos Santana and naturally, talk got around to this economic thing (Kathy Lee told me it's really bad). Carlos came up with that saying he's so famous for, "those who repeat history are doomed to forget it" - gee, I remember learning that one all the way back in Miss Porter's School!

Anyway, George, Major dee to the stars, gave me a copy of this article from The New York Times. At least I think it's the Times - sure doesn't look like Variety or the Hollywood Reporter to me! I'll leave you with a quote from it. Chow!
The New York Times, Oct. 26, 1929:

“Cautioning against hysterical selling, brokerage houses in their market letters this morning will strike a note of optimism, advising the purchase of seasoned stocks at the present low levels. The public is strongly urged not to liquidate stocks in the present market.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So - I see - you're a fan of Mr. Howard Stern - Chris - interesting - Howard got married - I sure would be interested in that marriage contract that was signed by both. Let's hope Howard has better luck than Paul McCarthy - of the beatles - had. What a mess that was and how could Paul have married some-one without doing a back-ground check on her. I can understand it - if he was just an average Joe - however - millions were at risk! Pretty stupid - if you were to ask me.

Chris Fountain said...

Oh! You're refering to the poster. That's actually a picture of Frank Zappa from, maybe, 1972. "Phi Zappa Crappa" (or "Phi Crappa Zappawa" - who remembers through the fog of er, smoke?) was the tag line - quite popular among some of us who attended college in the early 70's.